Thursday, March 10, 2011

Crime and Confusion

There are two shooting related stories in today's news, the first a homicide the second this weekend's gang summit. I don't have all of the shooting data from last year at hand, see previous post, but have it backed up somewhere. From what I can tell, we are about where we were last year but one less shooting and one more homicide. As of 3/10/2010 - shootings = 12 and of those, 3 were homicides. As of today we are at 11 and 4..I think. I went to check the shooting list and map that the TFP has on their Right2Know page, but as of today, it is exactly one month out of date, and the last shooting it has listed was upgraded to a homicide.(The bookings, which account for more screen real estate are, however, up to date:) Hopefully they will get that updated soon. I checked CrimeReports.com to see what it had on the homicides, nothing. (Granted one just happened last night.) This might just have to do with how the incidents are upgraded and how those upgrades do or don't get sent in the file to CR.com.

It is a bit confusing trying to catch up on this type of thing if you haven't been gathering it along the way. Even though there is a lot of room for improvement, we have come a long way in the last 6 to 12 months. This time last year, there was no CrimeReports map, no Right2Know, no regular Tweets from CPD, no Chattarati Public Safety blog, and I am sure several other things that contribute to our ability to monitor public safety issues.

1 comment:

  1. Chattanooga has had 4 homicides this year. And though I'm not 100% certain, I believe last night's homicide was the first for HCSO.

    As to the number of shootings, I'm really not sure. I want to say it's higher than 11, but that's just guesswork.

    ReplyDelete

Followers