Monday, April 26, 2010

Back in CHA

Nice to be back in Chattanooga after being gone for 2 weeks! Came back in time to do Day of Service in East Chattanooga on Saturday and to get strawberries at Chattanooga Market. My trip started off in San Francisco for higher ed tech conference. Luckily there was time for food and some opengov. Open Gov West had a follow up meeting to their conference in Seattle while I was there. It was an incredible group of people from the bay area, Seattle, Canada...oh, and Tennessee. Some of the attendees were from the city and county of San Francisco and are behind DataSF, other groups represented included Code for America, and Knowledge as Power. Big ideas and wonderful conversations that I was honored to be a part of.

Next up was 5 days without wireless and almost without cell signal in and around Stillwater, NY. After that, I rode with some friends down to NYC. On the way we dropped one person off at Gate Hill Co-Op. Her house is feet from the old farm house where John Cage, David Tudor, and 7 others lived in the early to mid 50s. (Cage later built a house up the hill. ) Then on to the city. I rented a bike and rode from midtown up to the Cloisters. Almost everyday, I put the Trees Near You app to work identifying trees.

In my downtime in two of the best open data cities, I took time to work on some ChattaData too. I took the csv of the Stand data and reshaped it to use for category browsing in Tableau. I also broke it up and put it in a simple mysql database to run ad hoc queries against. I will post both sometime soon once I get back into the swing of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers